Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Thursday, February 10, 2005

Despite Continued Cries for Cessation...

We once again bring you The Axis of Weevil Thursday Three!

This week's questions come to us from a mysterious person from the Carolinas who seems to enjoy submitting question ideas. He writes:
"Your computer stuff started me thinking—computers seem to always start some interest among the group. We could start a Mac fight—find out what your first computer was, worst horror story, favorite program – you should be able to figure it out."
"Should" is a mighty strong word there, pardner. "Might could" would be better.

IN ANY EVENT, those sound like worthy questions for you all. As always, anyone can play along, but with no small amount of irony it must be noted that it will be exceedingly difficult for any persons who do not have access to a computer.

Just leave your answers in the comments below, or you can leave a (properly-formatted) link to your blog.

SO: 1) What was your first computer?

2) What is the worst thing you ever encountered dealing with a computer?

3) What is your favorite piece of software?

SPECIAL BONUS QUESTION!

Our questionist also said it would be nice if we could somehow work food into this. Given that he wanted to start a "Mac fight," whatever that is, let's ask this question:

4) Big Mac or Whopper?

Go now and compute!

As for my answers, the first computer I ever owned was a TI-99/4A. I managed to convince my parents that it was a worthy purchase, because computers were going to be the big thing of the future, and you could use it to write programs like making a ping sound when you pressed the X key, and you could also use it to play computer games, and learn stuff. My folks were real big on learning experiences. Unfortunately, the TI-99 probably wasn't the best thing to use to learn computing. After that, it was a LONG time before I ever got another computer. I think the next one was along about '94 or '95 when we got the Aptiva that the kids use now.

2) Horror story? Probably the fact that I still have not managed to get the Aptiva's hard drive decompressed so I can install a new OS on it to run the new cheapo printer that I bought for it to replace the old printer that gave up and started spewing bits of spring wire. Several of you gave me the instructions on how to do this a couple of years back, but I just haven't gotten around to getting it done.

And then there was that whole deal with the mistaken cruise missile launch, but I really don't think I should be blamed for that.

3) Favorite software? I don't have anything I would consider my favorite, although I find computer Solitaire very relaxing.

BONUS QUESTION 4) Big Mac or Whopper? Please. Jumbo double cheeseburger from Hamburger Heaven.


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com