Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Thursday, October 07, 2004

I probably could figure out how long this silly mess has been going on but that would require physical effort and I am not in favor of such things. Anyway, the single most important thing is the number Three, this being the Whateverth Edition of the Axis of Weevil Thursday Three! Yippee!

Now then--I sure wish I had some questions to ask.

We’ve covered a pretty wide range of topics so far, you know, and it gets increasingly difficult to come up with stuff that makes you ponder, yet is not so broad that it requires you to write a dissertation to answer, nor so heavy that it makes you turn in despair to a short, self-terminated life brought on by listening to country music.

Speaking of which:

1) Name your three favorite country/western/bluegrass songs.

2) Name your three favorite country/western/bluegrass singers.

3) Which country/western/bluegrass station do you listen to most often?

As always, the fact that you detest hillbilly music is immaterial to the fun of playing along in a meaningless quiz. If you don’t know or don’t care, just make something up--I promise you, NO one will know. Except me. But I won’t tell. Leave a link to your post in the comments below (properly formatted and all, please!) or feel free to just leave your answers.

Diving right in, then: 1) I hate making lists of favorite anythings because I like lots of different things for different reasons. But, since I made up the silly questions, I would say “Tennessee Waltz,” “Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain,” and “Crazy” probably all run toward the top of my list. All of them are sort of melancholy, but I still like them anyway.

#2--Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss, Faith Hill. No particular reason. Honest. Well, that’s actually not true. All three of them have beautiful voices, especially Emmylou Harris. I do like some grit and heart-achey sound, too, though, like you hear in Loretta Lynn’s or Tammy Wynette’s voices. But not too much of it at a sitting, or I get all depressed and weepy

Number 3--Surely you jest--I never listen to country music on the radio! Silly person! The reason is the same reason I don’t listen to a lot of any radio stations of any ilk--everyone sounds very processed now, and my tastes tend to run toward the less polished. I really like the old bluegrass and country tunes from back before the invention of multitrack recording, but very few stations (around here) play that sort of music regularly. I will occasionally entertain myself on the way home in the afternoons with several “high lonesome” versions of various hymns. Great way to relieve the pressure, you know.

So there you go.


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com