Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Thursday, September 09, 2004

CEU Bust.

Got a base map plotted out from our ultraslow GIS terminal out at the counter, after several attempts. Something about the added-on text I added on being NOT in the place I added it onto the drawing. Finally got a usable copy, as well as nine points. The points coming from hitting the wall-mounted garbage can with three shots of the three wadded-up incorrect maps, taken from the three point line, i.e., behind the counter. In your face, Iverson.

Took the correct copy back to my trash-strewn drawing board and marked out with correction tape the stuff that's not supposed to be there, made some copies, and THEN actually got to drawing. At this stage, it's just all a bunch of arm-waving and squiggly lines--no straightedges or anything--just the uptown equivalent of drawing on a napkin. Did a couple of different takes on the same theme--curvy pathways, a couple of picnic shelters, some parking, a tall thingamajigger, a place for kids to play, some puppies, some kitties, some brick pavers.

Showed the sketches to my boss, and then got ready to go with him over to the lovely APCo building for the continuing education seminar. With Lunch!

Walked over, were confronted by a big board where people could have their photographs taken with their heads poked through a cutout, like you see when you go to the amusement park. The background? Why, it's those stupid birds! Sugarmama noted a while back that her corporate overlords had started putting the stupid birds all over the lobby. But I was figuring maybe something like itty-bitty bird-sized birds. Nope, GINORMOUS hard foam birds the size of children, perched all around the lobby, waiting to PECK YOUR EYES OUT!! AIIIIEEEEEEEE! Stupid birds. And why anyone would want to have their pictures made in the lobby of the Alabama Power Company building with their head poke through a board is beyond me.

Maybe that's why I'm not a high-paid executive.

In any event, the boss and I wandered past the reception desk and found a luncheon. However, it wasn't the one we were looking for. Back to the desk, ask the receptionist, and come to find out, it started at ELEVEN, instead of 11:30. And it was in the OTHER Alabama Power building three blocks over and one block down. ::sigh::

Just not worth it for one hour of credit.

I took it as a sign that I needed to just come back to the office and eat my lunch here at my desk and bore you with the details.

I know you're thrilled.

Anyway, back to work.


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com