Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Thursday, September 09, 2004

As promised…


Iiiiiiiiiiiiit’s…

What you’ve all been waiting forrrrrrrrrr…







::drum roll::


::still more drum rolling::



WALTER L. MORTON-CLOUGH’S CURIOUSLY SHAPED LEGUMES COLLECTION!! HOORAY!!

Not really. It’s only the Thursday Three.

BUT, in the finest tradition of the Axis of Weevil Thursday Three, we again launch forth into the Sea of Inquisitivity to bring you a series of potent ponderables to pass the time of day, and add rich and hearty filler to your blogs.

There was a comment Tuesday from Chef Tony dissing Hot Wheels cars, and I noted that I still had one from when I was a kid (as well as a several others), and Reba still has a Matchbox car that belonged to her as well.

After a while, the thought struck me that it was probably a bit on the odd side for two mid-40s adults to still have some of the toys they grew up with, SO--

1. Do YOU still have any of the toys you had from when you were a child?

2. What was your very single most favorite toy of all time?

3. What was the one toy you always craved but never received?

If you have a blog, run off now and post your answers, then leave a link in the comments below so everyone will be able to run over and gawk at your answers. If you don’t have a blog, you’re probably better off for it, but in order to play along anyway, just leave your comments below.

NOW THEN, my answers.

Number One--due to the fact that I have always been a pack rat, I have managed to maintain a pretty good grip on the stuff of my childhood. Which is fun for my kids when they rummage around in my things. I still have several of my Hot Wheels cars besides the 1970 Boss Hoss mentioned earlier; nothing spectacularly collectible, of course, because I played with them instead of keeping them in the box like you’re apparently supposed to do. I have a set of Lincoln Logs, and most of my Legos, and a Cowboy in Africa (think The Rifleman in Africa) lunchbox full of tiny bits of junkie things--cars and jimcracks and stuff--(if I only had the Thermos!), Mr. Ted E. Bear (now stolen by my wife), and several old board games--Parchesi, Life, Monopoly, checkers, chess. I also used to build plastic scale models--boats, planes, tanks, cars--had hundreds of those, but only a few of them have survived.

Number Two--Favorites. Well, obviously, Mr. Bear was most special, but I also dearly loved my Legos and Lincoln Logs, and such things are probably part of the reason I went into the field I did. (Then again, I also liked sticking metal things into the electrical outlets.) And I liked my Hot Wheels--I once used all the track I had and built a straight downhill course that went from our garage on the hill behind the house all the way to the front yard. For a kid, that was about five miles. In reality, probably only about a hundred feet. They sure would zoom, though. (Big hill, you know.)

Number Three--Unrequited Toy Love. When I was about 6, the Sears Roebuck Christmas Wish Book had remote-controlled plastic dinosaurs. They were REALLY big, at least in the picture--big enough to scare off that brat that I didn’t like--and they would go GRR! GRR! HSS! HSS! and their eyes would glow and they could walk. Sorta like Madeleine Albright, except, again, they were plastic. Anyway, they had a triceratops, and a tyrannosaurus rex, and I think a stegosaurus. Boy, how I wanted one of those. Marked it for Santa every year, but he never got the hint. I also always wanted a GI Joe--so bad I could hardly stand it. Then, I finally got one, but by the time I got it, I was just a tiny bit too old for it. And I wasn’t really that fond of the Lifelike Hair and Beard. I actually play more with the one Jonathan has now--it’s a Airborne recon scout in desert camo, and he has a really wicked M-4 carbine with a collapsible stock and detachable magazines--and you can even see the cartridges painted inside!--and it has a removable suppressor and night vision scope, and the highly-articulated Gung Ho grip. He has such cool toys.

Anyway, there you go.


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com