Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Meeting Tips

Finally got that done. And now, for those of you in the business of business, some helpful pointers from the client side.

First, let me point out that I am a relatively good guy to work for--I have a pretty even temper and a relatively strong tolerance for unintended and unforeseen mishaps or mistakes. I figure as long as you do what you say you're going to do, when you say you're going to do it, you don't need me hanging over your shoulder critiquing what you've done. Be honest, and do your work.

BUT--don't be late for meetings. If something comes up, don't keep calling me every five minutes to say you'll be here in five minutes. It would be better to say up front that you're going to be 45 minutes late due to unforeseen circumstances, then hang up and surprise me by only being 25 minutes late.

Second--I realize your cell phone is your lifeline. But use it on your own time, not mine. There's a thing called voice mail, as well as a thing called an off switch. Do not greet me with a cell phone in your hand as you are talking to someone else. After I have been courteous enough to lead you to my office without the benefit of any sort of proper greeting from you, do not hang up and then immediately answer yet another call while we are trying to discuss something--something that I will be paying you to do for me. Poor form, old chap. Now, as a nice guy, I might smile and say it's not problem, but that's only out of politeness. And don't think that it makes it better if you tell me you're going to turn it off after you've done all that blabbing. 'S too late. So don't push it.

Third--be prepared. After having already discussed with you the work in question on site, and in at least three other previous conversations, you should have in mind a set of criteria and a firm grasp on the scope already, without wasting both our time with a further repeat of it. In other words, do your work.

Fourth--never assume your clients know less about what you're doing than you do. Sometimes, every once in a while, believe it or not, they might know more. And, in fact, may have actually done something similar. Several times.

So there you go.


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com