Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Wednesday, November 26, 2003

This just in... Via NBC affiliate WTVM in Columbus, GA, another guy's opinion about the Auburn coaching mess:
"As chairman of the Auburn University Board of Trustees, I believe an apology is owed to theUniversity of Louisville for the unofficial visit by Auburn University officials last Thursday. I am extremely disappointed to learn that Auburn President William Walker, Athletic Director David Housel and two trustees flew to Kentucky to discuss the Auburn head football coaching situation with Louisville Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino. President Walker had been reported in the press as deferring any decision on Auburn Head Football Coach Tommy Tuberville's future until they met the week after Thanksgiving. It is also difficult for me to understand why I, as chairman of the Auburn board, was not informed that a search process for a new head football coach had begun, especially considering the fact that the promised meeting with Coach Tuberville had not yet taken place. The manner in which this situation has been handled is embarrassing to Auburn University."
That from Bob Riley, who in addition to being the chairman of the board of trustees also happens to be the governor of Alabama.

UPDATE 11/27/03--Well, it seems that instead of turkey, President Walker and Jabba the Housel and the other couple of trustees who went hunting will instead be feasting on crow: Auburn University president's statement on Tuberville
Auburn University has an established tradition of excellence in both its academic and athletic programs. Recently, I have grown concerned that the football program has been falling short of my expectations for its success.

In my desire to provide leadership and to gain a clearer understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of Auburn's football program, I solicited opinions from a wide variety of individuals more knowledgeable about the game than I. One of those individuals was University of Louisville head coach Bobby Petrino. My discussion with him went beyond his analysis of the Auburn program and, unfortunately, resulted in an understanding that I would favor his candidacy for the Auburn head coaching position if it were to become available.

This discussion was a mistake. By meeting with coach Petrino, I placed him in an untenable position. I apologize to him and the University of Louisville for my error.

I understand also that my actions have placed coach Tommy Tuberville in an awkward and uncomfortable position. I am truly sorry this has occurred. Coach Tuberville has done many good things for our football program. The quality of athletes he has recruited has been exemplary both in terms of their athletic abilities and their character. I especially appreciate his commitment to the education of our student athletes. He has, understandably, earned the support of the Auburn faithful.

I continue to have high expectations for all of Auburn's athletic teams, including football. Throughout the year, I expressed those expectations to the athletic director who relayed them to the football coaching staff. I want to be clear - I expect Auburn to compete consistently for the SEC championship and to be highly ranked nationally on a regular basis. We have not achieved these goals and that has been, and continues to be, my paramount concern.

As planned, I will meet with coach Tuberville and (athletic director) David Housel next week to strategize on how we meet these goals, and to ensure coach Tuberville's success at Auburn in the 2004 season and beyond.

If coach Tuberville elects to do so, he will continue as Auburn's head football coach next year. I sincerely hope he chooses to remain at Auburn.

Once again, I deeply regret the manner in which this matter has been handled. The errors in judgment have been mine and mine alone. My goal in this series of events has been to move our University forward in a positive and constructive manner.
Hmm. Smells like chicken.

In any event, don't be fooled that this was Walker's idea and his alone--that was a Colonial Bank [coughBobbyLowdercough] airplane that flew him and the other fellows up to an airport north of Louisville.

All in all, it sounds like all concerned are deeply sorry. That they got caught.


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com