Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Wednesday, August 06, 2003

In my absence…

Chet the E-Mail Boy has kept himself occupied with the small stream of correspondence trickling in (he does not seem to notice that the volume of mail is now smaller with the Comments feature, and I shan’t tell him), and just yesterday Jim Smith of Mayberry, North Carolina wrote in to say:
Subject: Diet

Since you were so supportive in the food blogging area during the start of the diet I thought you might like an update. Except for a couple of days when the family was not in town and I lost all willpower, I have done reasonably well. Since I am not using the same scales I started with, and only weighed yesterday for the first time since a week before the start, these figures are approximate. I looks like I have lost almost 25 pounds since the middle of June. I am under 200 for the first time in at least a decade.
Super, Jim! Long-time readers will remember Jim Smith (he assures me this is his real name. “As if!” as the kids say) is Atkinsing his way to the slim, girlish figure he had back in the day.

I myself have been struggling with my spare tire since, oh, about high school, and it has alternately inflated to tractor-trailer-sized and deflated to a less-huge-but-still-formidable P255R-16 size over the years. Never does quite go away, though.

Part of my problem is those darned complex carbohydrates. I have been doing much better the past couple of years and tried to cut back on them French fried taters mm-hm and bread and sweet stuff and every other thing in the world that tastes good. I dropped about 40 or so pounds over a three month period, and have managed to keep about 30 off since then. Sure is difficult. I still indulge every once in a while, but try to stick to stuff that’s not just plain raw sugar. Eat your fruits and vegetables, exercise, and blog a lot.
I know you really do not care, the only thing worse than another's diet is their dreams. However, I just wanted to tell someone and my friends have stopped listening.
Oh, stuff and nonsense, Jim, of course I care. Really. I don’t know what Chet may have said, but he’s wrong. You know how he is. I DENY IT ALL.

Anyway, remember what I told you—when your friends stop listening, it means it’s time for you to start your own blog. Then millio…thousand…hund…several people a day will come by and be very interested!
Thanks

Jim
No, Jim—thank YOU!!
PS

Please blog about more starchy food and BTW I am back on vacation.
Well, Jim, good to hear that the slave drivers at East Carolina have allowed you a respite from those long hours of looking at co-eds! And as for starchy food, Chet also handed me this short, yet informational message from Larry Anderson:
Subject: Food

www.tastymanatees.com

Looks like someone stole your fast food idea.

Larry
Now, now—I think the prepackaged sirenia market is large enough for several competitors, and who can deny that manatees are juicy and flavorful!?

As you all know, The Possumblog Kitchens™ division of Possumblog Food Service Corporation has had a very successful time with our premier brand, Cornatees®--the cornbread battered, deep fried manatee treat on a stick, as well as our other fine breaded, fried, meat-on-a-stick products such as Cornutria®, which uses the best tender Midwestern marmot, and Cornguins®, with the great taste of Emperor penguin. (Be sure and try the newest Mesquite Grilled Flavor with Chipotle Seasoning!)

HOWEVER, you know sometimes you want to have a good, special, sit-down Sunday meal, and it’s then when you might want to try one of my favorite recipes, Manatee and Dumplings:

1 manatee
1 c. Bisquick mix
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. shortening
1 tbsp. butter
1 (10 1/2 oz.) can cream of manatee soup
1 1/2 c. milk
Dumpling dough on Bisquick box
1/2 tsp. parsley flakes
1/4 tsp. manatee seasoning

Wash manatee and pat dry. Mix baking mix, salt, paprika and pepper in paper bag. Coat manatee thoroughly. Melt shortening and butter in large skillet, brown manatee on all sides. Remove manatee, drain fat. Stir in soup and milk, add manatee.

Cover and simmer about 3 days or until thickest pieces are tender. Twenty minutes before end of cooking time, prepare dumpling dough adding parsley flakes and manatee seasoning before mixing in liquid. Drop by teaspoons in hot manatee. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Cook covered for 10 minutes.
Jim, if you don’t have friends who want to hear about your diet, just wait until they try some of this! It’s great, and it keeps just fine in the fridge for those late-night bouts of the hungries!


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com