Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Constant Positive Reinforcement…and FOOD!!

As you all know, I live for constant positive reinforcement, so imagine my surprise to see Chet the E-Mail Boy scuttle out of the coat closet to let me know I had received the following:
Re:Sriracha!

Good morning sir!
Oh, holy cats--another Nigerian e-mail!
I have read and enjoyed your blog for months now.
I admire your both your fortitude and your ability to lie convincingly!

It was then that I read down and figured out that this was not from a spammer, but in fact, was a letter from an actual person. (Imagine!)
Congratulations on discovering Sriracha hot sauce. It IS very tasty. As a 12 year resident of California, I have enjoyed it for many years, but didn't realize it was so hard to find, or so poorly known.
Ah, yes—the wonderful, tasty concoction from our good friends at Huy Fong Foods, Inc.

I don't know which it is--the little Chinese place we visited certainly puts great stock in it, so it may be better known than I realized. I just haven't found it in the bigger grocery stores yet. The Roomba Queen of Vidalia (who likes off-beat hot sauces, too) mentioned that she is familiar with Huy Fong's brand of salsa, Sambal Oeleck.

Anyway, the Sriracha is good stuff--I first tried a little dab on an egg roll, and then started slathering it on everything.
I have shipped it to my father in Chicago, and when I recently moved to Texas, I had to bring several bottles with me, as none was available locally. I offer the following suggestions for your further enjoyment.

It is really good on scrambled eggs (the runnier the better), or with ketchup on bacon and egg sandwiches.

It is very tasty if added to Campbell's Cheese and broccoli soup, (esp. when you add chopped bacon.)

It's really a good substitute for chili peppers in a Thai inspired cucumber salad:
Peel one 10 inch cucumber, quarter lengthwise, then cut into 1/4" thick pieces.

Combine 1/2 of small onion, finely chopped; with cut up cucumber in bowl.

Combine 1 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp rice (or white) vinegar, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tbsp (more if desired) Sriracha in small bowl, whisk well.

Pour mixture over cukes, stir well, let sit in fridge to chill, enjoy!
(I stole most of this recipe from "Simply Thai Cooking" by Young and Auanoglu, but the use of the Sriracha is all me, baby.)
Well, as anyone who has ever read this pile of poo knows, you send in a recipe, and it gets posted!!

But then, suddenly, the tone turns somber:
Unfortunately for me, I fail several of the key tests for inclusion in the Axis of Weevil, (infrequent blog updates, no ties whatsoever to AL.) but perhaps, with work, some of my other character faults can compensate?
Boy howdy, a cry for help if I ever heard one.

I don’t know what we can do, though…everyone knows what sticklers we are for strict adherence to the rules around here.

Of course, there is the oft-abused Calvinball rule...
Congrats on your 12 years of marriage, and thanks for writing.

Bill Zukley
Thank you very much, Bill, and thank you for writing to me. As I have told several of you, it never ceases to amaze me that anyone would ever read the silly mess I post, much less that they would ever come back for more!

So, thank you, Bill, and thanks for the recipe!


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com