Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Friday, June 20, 2003

As if...

...I didn't have enough fun being a mindless bureaucratic automaton, I am now taking it out on my neighbors! I got appointed to our little town's Board of Zoning Adjustment, and last night was my first meeting. I'm a supernumerary member, but since there were only three of the regular members there, I got to vote.

Luckily, nothing too complicated, and the meeting was over in about thirty minutes or so, after which I got to jabber with one of the guys on the board who has a whole collection of oddball old cars he keeps parked behind his business. I have driven around there several times, just to peak at them, so it was nice to finally meet the guy. Odd little collection--mostly stuff from the mid-'60s--he bought a bunch of them to celebrate the opening of his business 40 years ago, and the rest just have some sentimental value for him. Couple of '54 Plymouth sedans (they look a bit like this one), an International Harvester Metro Mite (which looks NOTHING like this one), a '65 Impala convertible, a '64 or '65 Galaxie 500, a '54 Ford Victoria (cool, daddy-o!--in great shape, looks like this one except in bright yellow and black top), a '65 Catalina four door hardtop (that I have always like, but he said he just sold it. Oh well, it didn't have air, anyway), and a really cool 1955 Studebaker Speedster, the progenitor of the snappy Hawk models. This is probably the coolest of the bunch--here's an ad from way back when--"lightning on wheels! Styled for action! Powered for thrills!" (with nary a disclaimer from the lawyers), and here's a picture of one similar to his, and here's something from a guy with WAY too much time on his hands. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Anyway, he's an interesting fellow.



al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com