Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Friday, May 30, 2003

National Geographic

I have been reading National Geographic since I was old enough to read--the lady who was my babysitter had a whole bookcase full of old Geographics, and I was finally able to convince my mom and dad to get our own subscription 31 years ago, a subscription which I have managed to maintain since then without lapse. I love 'em, and I guess like everyone else, I can't bear to throw them out.

Of all the changes over the years, the one that just drives me bonkers is from a few years ago when the editors decided to open up a section for reader mail. No matter what the story, no matter how thought-provoking, no matter how well written, there is always--ALWAYS--someone who will write in with an angry letter pointing out every perceived slight, every possible misstatement, every point left unsaid. And they all have that same smug, self-righteous, drum-banging, papier-mache-head wearing, whineyness that makes me want to indulge in a spate of stupid growth, endangered species grilling, and unbound hydrocarbon production simply out of spite.

The one that got me going last night (when I finally got to read the June issue) was from some guy who used the opportunity afforded him to take someone (the Geographic, rich people, Westerners--ANYone) to task. The offense? The fact that there was a cat food ad on the inside back cover, and a photograph in the magazine of a tribesman forced by drought to eat leaves. The letter, though short, was written with a sneer, wondering how decent people could allow such things to coexist.

Of course, as it is with these types of letterwriters, there was no suggestion about alternatives--would you like us to outlaw the keeping of cats as pets? Would you like the Geographic to stop accepting pet food advertisements? Would you like all resources currently devoted to producing a slick, colorful magazine channelled into growing food? And you, Letterwriter, what a sad commentary it is that you sit there with your arms, able to write letters to the editor, when there are people who can't even afford a pen! Oh, the humanity! You know, while we're at it, it's awfully telling that in the same magazine in which a country wracked with drought is featured, there was also an advertisement for the Folbot! How dare we rub their faces in the fact that we have time for watery leisure activities! And all those ads for military academies! And cars! And crushable hats!

I do not dispute that there is much in the world that needs changing, and much inequity. But cluttering up my Geographic with misguided maudlin maunderings is no way to fix things.

Now then, where's my Swimsuit Issue?


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com