Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Monday, April 21, 2003

From Francesca Watson, her comments on this Washington Post article (requires registration):
[...] When I sit down and think about the horrors that comprised life in Iraq over the last few decades -- I mean really sit down and think about it -- I am more and more appalled and angered by the behavior of the privileged class in this country over the last few months. Bush is the terrorist? Really?? It doesn't take much effort to spout the party line, of course, and it is so much easier to simply believe what one likes, or indulge in political stereotyping, than it is to actually look for the truth. The resulting intellectual dishonesty of the Tim Robbins, Martin Sheens, Susan Sarandons and Barbra Streisands of the world is just breathtaking -- are their children in danger of being summarily executed by government thugs because they chose to speak out? Is there really anything about the consequences of speaking out in America that can possibly equate with the slaughter, the terror, the brutality this Iraqi family suffered? How do you survive for 20 years without knowing what happened to your child? How do you go about daily life when all around you are the images of the man responsible for destroying your family? How do you quiet the hatred and loathing that twists in your heart every time you see a government official or military uniform? How do you hold on to what is essentially you when you are powerless -- powerless to protect your children, powerless to bring their killers to justice?

This article brought me to tears. I cannot begin to comprehend the evil that was Saddam Hussein. Oh, I see the proof, and I see the complicity, and I see the pain, but I cannot comprehend it. And I cannot understand the hearts of people who make it the equivalent of honest political disagreement in the richest, most powerful and most generous democratic country in the world.

So I will remember -- I must remember -- what they said, what they stood for. And I will remind them -- in my own small way -- every time I don't buy a movie ticket, or watch a television program, or buy a book, or support their favorite charity. Of course these people are entitled to believe and say whatever they choose. But it matters -- it matters enormously -- what we, as a culture, choose to support. So I choose not to support people who cannot make a distinction between authoritarian regimes and the freedoms we enjoy as Americans, whether our president is Republican or Democrat. [...]
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!
Isaiah 5:20, 21


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com