Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Tuesday, January 28, 2003

The swarm continues to gather strength...

I had been doing a bit of casual Googlebating the other day (shut up! everyone does it!) and noted that my parodic diatribe against President Lincoln going to war over cotton had been found and linked by the author of Half Bakered (Reading the Memphis Papers So You Don't Have To). I dashed off a thank you (as I am wont to do, for I am mannerly and civil), and just today as I was rummaging through the huge sacks of mail that pass through our loading dock here at the Axis of Weevil World Headquarters, I found a reply to a that note--
Hi Terry,

Gotta say I love Possumblog. I check it everyday.
WOW! I've never gotten an e-mail from someone who is certifiably insane. How very interesting! And it becomes even more clear...
May I apply for membership in the Axis of Weevil? I was born in Alabama and lived there for thirty years -- 25 in Huntsville and 5 in Birmingham. I went to Auburn! Well, for a year, anyway, but still.... I moved to Memphis about 15 years ago and while I love it here I have to admit that my heart is still in Birmingham.
Somehow, Tony Bennett comes to mind. But not in a good way.
I used to live in the "UAB student ghetto"
And 1969 Las Vegas Elvis comes to mind. And once more, not in a good way.
and I still fondly remember being able to walk into the front yard, look up over my shoulder, and see the Vulcan watching over me.
Now that he's down on the ground for restoration, you can go up and look him right in the butt!
True story: Last time I went to visit my mother, she asked if I wanted a drink. When I said, "Whatever's in the fridge," she replied, "There's Milo's tea." ;-)
I remember coming home from Auburn one day while my mom was at work, and there was a bottle of Sprite on the kitchen counter. Being a highly sanitary person, and about to die for something to drink, I took the cap off and drank a big swig. It sure did taste funny. That was because my mom had been using the bottle to fix up some plant food.
Anyway, I promise not to screw up, or blow anything up accidentally, or at least make y'all act like you don't know me.

Thanks.
Mike Hollihan
Well, you're definitely overqualified then! I quickly responded to make sure Mike didn't mind losing his anonymity and insure that he has fully read the disclosure of terms and conditions of membership, and he responded that he had, and fully agreed to them, and even went so far as to volunteer himself to be the designated driver at the next company picnic. (For the record, Possumblog is dry, as is the Headquarters Building. The addled ranting found herein is not the result of alcohol consumption. Believe it or not.)

ANYWAY, without further muss and fuss, it is time to add yet another wayward, misguided individual to the ever more ponderous and intransigent Yellowhammer Benevolent Association of Internet Scriptography--

HAVING Successfully completed his membership form (in triplicate) and shown himself devoid of all the necessary caution to stay away from such convocations, it is with great pleasure, and by the authority of Ned, the security guard at the State of Alabama State Docks Commission building, that we, the mighty Axis of Weevil do hereby accept one Mike Hollihan of Half Bakered fame into the warm clutches of our collective bosom. (Sorry, no bosom pictures either).

AS WITH ALL NEW MEMBERS, Mike will be receiving his very own World Famous Axis of Weevil Gift Pack, just now being loaded into the Pinto and sent out onto Highway 78. Being that everyone should be getting pretty darned tired of rereading the contents of this marvelous assortment of goodies, please scroll down the page a bit and you'll see what's in there.

Go, now, Mike, and make us proud!


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com