Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Friday, January 24, 2003

Look...

Just because I'm built like an Eskimo DOESN'T mean I want it to be 2 degrees when I wake up in the morning. Gimme some of that good old global warming, please, and make it snappy!

Like I can complain--it gets this cold maybe every ten years, and in a couple of days it'll be back up to 60. Oh well. One thing, though. It sure gives the local TV weatherdrones something to do. Last night, the new little fellow on FOX6 used the term "bone-chilling cold" at least 8 times within the space of two minutes. WE GET IT, ALRIGHT!?

Anyway, we are now into Day Three at Home with Surly Preteen, Now With the Added Dimension of a Sick 4th Grader! Got up this morning and did my usual impression of R. Lee Ermey by beating a trash can to wake everyone up (not really, of course. I just use a bullhorn, like normal people.) and Rebecca woke up and started crying and complaining of a headache and stomachache. I fetched the thermometer, and sure enough, 100.6. Great. She's just now getting over strep throat, and now she's got this crud.

I dosed her up with stuff and sent her back to bed, and spent the rest of the time trying to get Boy out of bed and dressed. Oh, he feels fine, but if everyone else gets to stay, he wants to, too. After the fourth time to pass by his room and attempt to roust him, he used his Tiny Voice™ --"Dad--I...don't...feel good. ::sniffhacksniff::" Luckily, the Thermoscan was still handy--"Look! 95.8! Get UP and get DRESSED!" Turn on T.V.™ "::sniffcough:: Yes, sir. ::sniff::" How utterly pitiful. Catherine, on the other hand, was ready to git. The cold just makes her more irrepressibly wiggly. I got her all dressed and in YET ANOTHER attempt to stall, Jonathan came back in carrying his toothbrush. "Dad, I think I need to use a new toothbrush." I had told Rebecca to get a new one the other day when she had started getting over her strep, and so now everyone in the Peanut Gallery wants to swap out for a new one. "Son, you just opened that one a month ago! Go USE IT!" ::sigh::

Got them fed and out the door, and almost into the van. Slight problem in that the sliding door was firmly frozen shut. (Did I mention that this cold weather garbage is simply ridiculous? Make it stop, now, please.) They piled in by going past the front seats and it was off to school, then back here, where I found Oldest and Middle Girls piled up in front of the television in Ashley's room. Remember the homework she was supposed to be working on yesterday? Well, golly gee willikers, it's STILL NOT DONE! Imagine that! So, she was sent back to the word mines to finish this, which, given her usual ennui, means that it will still not be done at the end of THIS day. Of course, there is always the possibility that she will follow the lead of the kids in this story, which was forwarded to me by Janis Gore of Gone South, whom I think is concerned for my safety.

Well, now I need to go run and pick up my paycheck from work, and go to the bank so that no one will come and take the house away and put our furniture on the curb, and sadly I think I really will have to get some stuff to work on while I'm here. I thought Wednesday that this would all be over now, and played hooky from doing MY homework, but if I don't get it done, I will be all messed up next week. So, this might be the only post for today. If so, please be sure and check out the fine assortment of blogs up in the header--I haven't had the time to get around to everyone, so I know I'm missing some extra-high quality bloggage--and all of you dress warm and put on a hat!


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com