Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Tuesday, July 30, 2002

I got home yesterday and had a big envelope from the National Personnel Records Center containing information about my dad's time in the Navy. (I have been trying to collect this stuff for some pages I have done to document his service over on my GeoCities site.) I had sent away for this almost exactly one year ago, and had just about given up on receiving anything back, so getting it was just like Christmastime.

The copies were of my dad's basic enlistment and transfer paperwork, and although they didn't have much detailed information, it was a bit more than I have had. I found out that after being assigned to the 7th Amphibious Force in the South Pacific, and before being stationed at Hollandia, he had been assigned to the USS BLUE RIDGE (AGC-2), an amphibious force flagship, and to the USS HENRY T. ALLEN (APA-15), an attack transport. (here's a picture) In both instances he was assigned to the boat pool.

It was interesting too to see his performance ratings--he made excellant marks in seamanship and general duties, and 4.0s (the highest mark) in conduct. Hard to believe, knowing what a cut-up he was, but I guess when it came time to be serious, he did his job. And did it well.

So, a couple more pieces in the puzzle.

To his fellow veterans--those who gave their lives, those who have since gone home, and those who remain--thank you for your sacrifice.


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com