Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Friday, July 26, 2002

...Exciting and newww...Come aboard! We're expecting yooooou!

Nice post from Axis of Weevil Department of Linguistics Director HD Miller on mushy stuff and the work of Ibn Hazm:
[...] Now I have to admit that I’ve got a dog in this fight, since excerpts of my translations of Ibn Hazm have been recently published in Maria Rosa Menocal’s book The Ornament of the World. Yet despite my bald-faced Ibn Hazm partianship, I can still safely say that de Rougemont's Love in the Western World, which was first published in 1940, before the more recent scholarship on Ibn Hazm appeared, is seriously outdated.

I’ll leave you with a few snippets from my ongoing translation of Tawq al-Hamammah, first prose,

Love, may God honor you, is a serious illness, one whose treatment must be in proportion to the affliction. It's a delicious disease, a welcome malady. Those who are free of it want not to be immune, and those who are stricken want not to be cured. [...]
I eagerly await Mr. Miller's translation of Hazm's greatest book, What to Say When Your Beloved Asks, "Does This Veil Make Me Look Fat?"


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com