Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Friday, March 22, 2002

Looks like it’s getting to be that time again—the action-packed, thrill-a-minute weekend awaits!

My older sister is up from Mobile for the weekend, so I’ll get to see her a little bit. Which is more than enough. I mean, I love her and all that, but she’s even more peculiar than I am. Think of a cross between the sitcom characters of Diane Chambers from Cheers, Eunice Higgins from The Carol Burnett Show and Carol Weston from Empty Nest; then throw in some gunpowder and broken glass. Incredibly entertaining and scary as hell.

Saturday promises to be akin to the crossing of the Rubicon, as my wife and I try to coordinate the logistics of going to two separate soccer games on either side of the county, a concurrent teacher’s meeting at church in yet another part of the county, and visiting my mom, who mercifully lives somewhat close to the area of the second soccer game. Two vehicles, four kids, four venues, a million road-bound morons, and one parent with the brains of a possum. Luckily, I have 50 teeth and a prehensile tail.

After an appropriate period of chattiness with Mama’n’em, the Oglesby platoon will re-embark and head back to lovely Trussville, to the calming charms of home and the need to…yep, you guessed it, do laundry and dishes and clean house. I keep trying to figure out how our place gets so messy—we’re NEVER there!

Beyond the normal churchin’-up of Sunday, I don’t know if we have anything planned. I sure hope not. I keep this dream in the back of my mind that one Sunday, I’m actually going to be able to actually take one of my murkily-remembered Sunday Afternoon Naps. It’s been a loooooong time since I had a real good, stripped-down-to-skivvies, in the bed, drooling, dreaming, Nap. Think of me as Charlie Brown, my Nap as a football, and Life as Lucy Van Pelt. “Come on, Charlie Brown, you can do it!” “Aaaaarrrgh!” The only difference is that at least Charlie Brown does have a moment where he actually is supine.

Yeah, yeah, I know—one day I’ll miss all the hair-pulling, TV-blaring, clarinet-squeaking, Game Boy-bleeping mayhem around home. It’ll be like Burgess Meredith in the Twilight Zone episode where he had all the books in the world to read and his glasses were broken. They’re only young once, carpe diem, all that.

I still want my derned nap, though.

See you Monday!


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com