Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Thursday, January 17, 2002

Luxury would disgust me, too, if I could afford it.
Well, now this one makes me so happy—“Giorgio Armani says he is fed up with luxury.”

“I'll tell you something. Luxury disgusts me,”…”I want to pay homage to the workers, to the dignity of the workers with their simplicity and straightforwardness,” Armani told reporters backstage as he explained his latest outfits with their flat caps, military boots and donkey jackets.
He urged young fashion fans to put their craze for designer labels into perspective.

“I want young people to understand that today's world is false. They must understand that it is absurd to prostitute oneself or to steal just to get a designer bag because they think that without it they are nobody,” he said.

Asked whether he might also be to blame for the obsession with luxury, Armani pointed to his cheaper clothing lines which include jeans that sell for about 100 euros ($88) a pair compared with his top-of-the-range suits that fetch around 5,000 euros.


As I read this, I pointed to WalMart, where jeans cost $18.99, or 21.25 euros compared to the only two suits I own, courtesy of McMillon’s Big and Tall, which cost about 280 euros each.

“I have to say that for all the things I design, I put in love and care,” he said. “I do not shut myself away in my workshop, like some others do, to cynically and presumptuously create luxury items.”

No, I shut myself away in my workshop to devise ways to find out who makes WalMart’s jeans so I can get them to make some for me that I can sell at Armani prices. Why pay $2,000 for cashmere when you can pay $2,000 for denim and express your solidarity with “the workers.”


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com