Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Tuesday, January 22, 2002

I Blog Me!
I rated my own mention from noted Australian journalist, commentator, and oppressor Big Daddy Tim Blair. I just noticed this today (I have been tied up in brutal conditions at my house having to endure the fearsome Alabama winter). I had written Mr. Blair a few days ago to thank him for his writings, and for taking a pretty unpopular stand in defending America. Mr. Blair responded with a very heartfelt thank you of his own. Scroll down to the entry for January 20, 2002:

"Terry O., of Alabama, sends Australia some deeply appreciated thanks for the kindness shown to his father by Aussie soldiers:

"Thank you for the hospitality your countrymen showed to my father while he was stationed in New Guinea during World War II. My dad was always difficult to impress, but Australian soldiers managed to do a good job of it. My dad and his buddies were always on the lookout for food of any sort, occasionally even resorting to conducting unauthorized clandestine interservice requisitions of Army food. Your countrymen, however, extended to him and his friends the kindness of sharing their own meager rations. My dad figured anyone who could enjoy eating tainted canned mutton as much as those Australians were very near to superhumans. Unfortunately, he was not quite up to superhuman status, so he politely refused.

The thoughtfulness was still greatly appreciated, however, so on his behalf, thank you."


His response to my e-mail:

"Thank you very much for your kind note.[...] And please know that, for all the anti-US sentiment you may read about coming from Australia, there is a whole generation of Australians of your father's era who owe their lives to American intervention in the Pacific. Their appreciation is undimmed by the years that have passed.

In one of my posts I mentioned my former editor, Ken Edwards. His father and hundreds of others became trapped on an island during the war. Some of the men went insane with fear, knowing the Japanese were approaching, and knowing what the Japanese did to Australian POWs.

American forces reached them first. Ken's father was saved by you guys.

Ken liked to tell that story whenever any of the younger writers began making anti-US noises. It tended to quiet them down.

If you ever get a chance, you should get down here one day. I promise you'd be made feel more welcome than you could believe. Australians know who their friends are.

And nowadays the food has improved a little!

Cheers, and thanks again for your wonderful note.

--Tim"


Darned fine fellow!


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com