Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Thursday, March 10, 2005

A Word of Advice, Junior.

As you all know, I am a man of near-infinite patience. I go out of my way to avoid places and people that might be amenable to confrontation. I try my best to lead as quiet and peaceable a life amongst my fellow man as possible.

However, I do have a word of advice for a certain person. If you are a young man whose child attends Paine Elementary School in Trussville, Alabama, and you drive a white Miata with black top and cheesy aftermarket alloy wheels, and you were behind a silver Honda Odyssey van in the turn lane this morning at 7:15, please listen carefully.

It might come as a surprise to you that Highway 11 running in front of the school is, on occasion, a rather busy thoroughfare. Although there is a center turn lane for eastbound vehicles to turn into the school’s driveway, there is no traffic signal there to stop westbound traffic. Sometimes, the traffic is moving along at a relatively high speed. Although I (as I’m almost certain you do as well) have a job that requires I not be tardy, I have never found it particularly bothersome to allow the westbound traffic the few seconds required to clear the intersection before making the turn. I figure that since I have children in the car with me, it’s worth waiting a few seconds to let the oncoming traffic clear.

I realize that other drivers might not feel this way, and would be willing to endanger themselves and their children without ever thinking twice about it in order to save valuable microseconds; increments of time that they could put to better use by applying more styling gel to their hair, or admiring their Oakley’s in the rearview mirror, or just thinking how cool it would be to have a neon underbody light kit for their car. Obviously, important things. To some people.

But a word of advice, Sparky--if you should ever again be in the turn lane into the school behind a silver Honda Odyssey with two kids and a driver who seems to be detaining you for a longer span of time than you think you appropriate, it would be an extraordinarily bad idea to lay down on the horn again like you did this morning.

I happen to know that an entire Miata can be inserted into you, and I would genuinely enjoy demonstrating that fact.

And I would leave the horn for last.


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com