Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Friday, March 11, 2005

Well, that one went through.

I am suspicious that there might be a virus alurking in our system.

Believe it or not, there are people I work with who are even less computer savvy than I am, and one of my coworkers came to me the other day complaining and asking if I had sent her anything.

No.

I've been through this with her before, explaining that there are viruses that grab up addresses from someone's email address book and then start sending themselves out from those seemingly-legitimate senders. Meaning that just because MY name is on it, doesn't mean I sent it. I get spam with my address on it a LOT. But I promise I don't send it to myself. And it doesn't matter if it comes from an internal email address with a .al.us suffix or one of those WWW ones from a .com-type place--if it's got an address, it uses it. I still don't think she gets it. Part of the problem is that she thinks she is a computer whiz. When you know everything, it's hard to learn anything.

Anyway, I gave her the standard disclaimer I give everyone--I don't send attachments unless I warn you first I'm going to send an attachment. And don't open unsolicited attachments, especially stuff ending in .scr, .exe, .pif or .zip., or stuff with non-sequitur subject or message texts.


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com