Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Friday, December 03, 2004

Road Warrior

As Chez notes in the comments below, our lovely reconstructed I-59 ramp is being completed just in time for something else to happen.

Around 8:30 or so last night, a tractor-trailer carrying a gigantic 45,000 pound (!)industrial driveshaft was going around one of the big loopy ramps from I-65 to I-459 over in Hoover and the whole shebang slid off the trailer and punched two long narrow holes--one reported to be about six feet long, the other about 10 feet--completely through the deck of the overpass. The concrete dropped down onto the roadway below and hit a Caddy, damaging it pretty badly and sending the driver to the hospital.

I'm telling you, sponge rubber is the answer. Stuff'll just bounce right off of it.

In other road news, I saw a loaded-to-the-headliner Volvo 940 tooling along this morning with an odd license plate. When I got a bit closer, it said Delaware. Then I got even closer and saw that it only LOOKED like a Delaware plate, because it flat, made of plastic, and was personalized with the name of a used car dealership. The driver, who appeared to be moving her collection of worldly goods, had a map upon her steering wheel, gazing at it through a magnifying glass.

Upon even FURTHER investigation after I got in this morning, I found it odd that I could not find the name of the dealership in several different searches. Hansby. Fritz, is that really a dealership up there in The First State, or is there some sort of fake Delaware plate ring at work?

Finally, in my little rant yesterday about vehicle assembly quality, I later on remembered the stories Brian Bosworth (washed-up loudmouth ex-jock, who finally calmed down some and became an actual adult) used to tell about working on an auto assembly line (I think GM in Kansas City, but I can't find it now) and tieing a bolt to a string and leaving it up inside of a fender so that it would rattle and ding and drive the owner nutty. Such a sweetie pie. That reminded me also of a time back about 1976 or so when my Dad was looking for a truck. We visited a Ford dealer, who had a new Ford Granada sitting on the showroom floor. Granadas and the Mercury Monarch (shown here with Lido) came off the same assembly line, and as I puttered around, I looked at the side of the Granada. Nice little fake chrome nameplate (crooked, and I think you can see where this is going) reading "Monarch." I showed it to one of the salesmen, and he said, "Hm." Which pretty much sums up the state of Ford during the mid to late '70s, I suppose.

Anyway, there's your vee-hickle news.


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com