Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Thursday, August 19, 2004

“Spanning the globe to bring you the best in sports. The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat, the human drama of athletic competition!”

What else could it be except the Axis of Weevil Thursday Three!

(I mean, aside from Wide World of Sports.)

NOTHING else! Because--well, I don’t know why. Just work with me here.

IN ANY EVENT, seeing as how the world is now engaged in an epic struggle for dominance through the peaceful avenue of sport, and seeing as how said struggle is probably good for a few comments, this week’s set of questions (thanks, Nate!) dives right in and demands that you experience all that makes athletic competition so…so, er. Sorry, lost my train of thought--I was watching the women’s beach volleyball game.

ANYway, the questions this week are this:

1. What is your favorite Olympic event?

2. Conversely, what is your least favorite Olympic event?

3. Which event would you most like to compete in?

As always, anyone is free to join in, although we remind you that we do conduct random doping tests to insure the fairness of the competition. Also, even though it is the season of the Summer Games, don’t let that limit you--the answers can be for summer or winter events, or both. Leave your answers or a link to your blog in the comment selection below. And please try not to get chalk dust everywhere.

SO, now then--for my answers, I would have to say for Number One my favorite event would be the decathlon. It takes some real athletic ability--defined by me as versatility as well as strength--to do all that stuff. And it’s not stuff that is too hard to see to understand what’s going on--the fencing competition is almost invisible it goes by so fast. And in stuff like synchronized swimming or water polo you don’t see anything happening below the water. I know it’s hard, but hurling stuff and running and jumping and such like are much more obvious in the level of exertion required. And for the ultimate in versatility, I like Nate's idea.

Basically, I don’t want to sit there on the couch and think to myself, “Psh! I could do THAT!”

Number Two--least favorite is going to be hard because there are so many. Curling, ice dancing, ping pong, synchronized swimming and diving, anything with Scott Hamilton or Dick Button doing the announcing. In general, I dislike anything where the judges get to give you style points. I want something where it's obvious if you win, you win--if you lift 500 pounds and the other guy lifts 499, but because he did it with special flair he gets the win--no, sorry, stuff like that is just dumb. And sailing. I can’t understand sailing getting to be an event and auto racing not being. And why isn’t football an event? (Real football, not that silly metric stuff.)

Finally, what sport would I like to compete in? I guess I would do best in shooting, but that’s not saying anything at all--I wouldn’t be good at any of the events. I have never been a particularly fast runner, nor particularly quick on my feet, nor overly muscular, nor a strong swimmer, and am generally a poor sport anyway. But shooting is the one thing that I think I could actually do with some success (measured by the lack of deaths or injury to myself or spectators).

So, there you go.


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com