Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Monday, January 05, 2004

Well, since Lileks has deadlines and no Bleat...

Allow us here at the Possumblog News Center to fill you in on all of your Land O' Ten Thousand Lakes News with our Iron Range Reporter, Toni Albani:
Terry,
Toni!
I know I have been derelict in my duties as the Gopher State Reporter
Noted in your personnel file and in your pay envelope...
so I thought I'd better give you some sort of event news.

Every year the city of St. Paul has a Winter Carnival. There are all sorts of events going on during the 12 days (I think). One of the events is the Ice Sculpture which is truly amazing. Every 10 years or so they build an Ice Palace. The last Ice Palace I went to see was amazing but it was so cold I think we were all in hypothermic stupor.
What better way to enjoy gigantic frozen-water architectural anomolies?
The temps were is the negative 20's the whole time the palace was on display. This year the city is hosting the NHL All Star Game so the palace is being constructed next to the Xcel Ice Arena in downtown. Now, I would link you directly to the website for the Winter Carnival [http://www.winter-carnival.com/] but for some unknown reason this site comes up BLANK!!!!! Somebody has screwed up in a major way. So instead I link you to the St. Paul Pioneer Press site for the Winter Carnival. What a glorious winter celebration (yech) for all to enjoy and the parade! Who in their right mind could turn down standing out in the freezing cold to watch a parade in January with the Vulcans running around smearing black ick on your faces.
Man alive, you Yankees know how to do it up right!
On the other hand there's the medallion hunt with the daily clues which mean nothing to most people unless they've lived in St. Paul for their whole lives.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/special_packages/winter_carnival/

Hopefully this will reinstate my standing (or sitting) with your Possumblog staff and clientele.

Toni

I just got a 'WIND CHILL ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM CST THIS EVENING' from the old weatherbug. The high for the day appears to be a -5 degrees.
Thanks for that report, Toni--and yes indeed, you're back in the good graces of the entire editorial staff!

(And your frigid tale of the Brutal Minnesota Winter allows me to brag on my new bedside weather station, which recorded a high temperature at Maisson d'Possum yesterday of 71.2 degrees. But we do have a cold front moving in, so it will get cold tonight.)


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com