Possumblog

Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

REDIRECT ALERT! (Scroll down past this mess if you're trying to read an archived post. Thanks. No, really, thanks.)

Due to my inability to control my temper and complacently accept continued silliness with not-quite-as-reliable-as-it-ought-to-be Blogger/Blogspot, your beloved Possumblog will now waddle across the Information Dirt Road and park its prehensile tail at http://possumblog.mu.nu.

This site will remain in place as a backup in case Munuvia gets hit by a bus or something, but I don't think they have as much trouble with this as some places do. ::cough::blogspot::cough:: So click here and adjust your links. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's one of those things.


Friday, January 02, 2004

Mmmmm.

(And happy MMIV to you!) That sure was some good food, and I am now quite full of good luck and the promise of great remuneration for the coming year.

I must confess that it was not quite like old timey times--I didn’t have to wash the greens in a #10 washtub, I didn’t have to kill my own hog, I didn’t have to make my fingers bleed by shelling peas--but it was still pretty darned good, nonetheless.

The turnip greens were the 10 ounce frozen kind--open, dump in big saucepan with a hunk of the honey-glazed ham leftover from the piece my mom gave us, set on low, let simmer five hours or so. I like collards, too, but they’re a bit too strong in flavor for the rest of the family, so we stuck with turnip greens. The best is a mess of mixed greens--collards, mustard, and turnip. Serve any of them with a spoonful of pepper sauce, which is not the same thing as red sauce, but the vinegar from pickled peppers--it adds some spiciness and keeps the greens from being greasy. Mmmm!

Black-eyed peas--dried, left over from Catherine’s art project of the gigantic turkey rendered in a variety of dried beans and peas. Always be sure and look them over before cooking to pick out the worm-eaten ones and any rocks or trash. Soak overnight (the peas, not you), change the water, and add another hunk of the honey-glazed ham leftover from the piece my mom gave us, set on low, let simmer five hours or so just like the greens. These usually need a bit more salt than provided by the ham, but go easy on it. I also like to add about a teaspoon of Louisiana Hot Sauce.

Country-style ribs--cover with minced onion, black pepper, salt, and a bit of water in a glass baking dish--cover with foil and shove in oven at 325 degrees for several hours or until they fall apart. I nearly cried when I found out we didn’t have any barbecue sauce--all we had was some A-1 and some of the aforementioned Louisiana Hot Sauce. Turned out pretty good, actually.

Cornbread--again, confession time, but I used a couple of packages of mix and didn’t realize they had some sugar in them until after I had already mixed it all up and poured it in the skillet. It tasted fine, but the very idea of sugar in cornbread is so anathema that I felt like a traitor for eating it. It sure cooked up good, though--beautiful crunchy crust and crumbly inside.

Had it for lunch and supper--it was good both times. What was funny was that Catherine has been on an anti-vegetable jag lately, and had to be strongly urged to eat her greens and peas during lunch. Oddly enough, suppertime came and she actually ASKED for them. She got a few more than she anticipated, however, leading her halfway through to ask if she could just have the amount she had at lunch. “I don’t want all of these stuff--I just want what I had for lunch and THAT’S ALL. Mama, would you take some of these off?”

Reba was about to get frustrated, but I leapt in with my child-like reasoning skills and said, “Cat, I tell you what--just eat away all the extra ones you don’t want, and when you get down to the amount you had at lunch, you can eat that.”

She thought for a second--“Okay.”

Makes perfect sense, don't you think? And worked like a charm--she only had about ten peas left on her plate, and not a single leaf of turnip greens.


Comments: Post a Comment

al.com - Alabama Weblogs


free hit counter
Visits since 12/20/2001--
so what if they're mostly me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't
yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com